Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Time Machine

Get ready for Time Travel!

For Primary we had a sharing time on "Prophets" and we combined two weeks together due to some other scheduling items. So-how perfect would it be to bring in a time machine to let the kids "travel" and meet some of these amazing people.....and I added some amazing women from the scriptures as well!

So here is what it looked like:
Front view of door


So here is what I did with it to be exact-

I had it set up in the Primary room so when the kids walked in they would be shocked! It worked! Some parents didn't really believe that a time machine was really in there!
I briefly introduced the topic of how we can learn so much from the examples of the Prophets from the scriptures and other amazing examples. One child was chosen to "enter" the time machine and another child was chosen to "send them off" by changing the dials on the front-which are month, day, and year-and then they could push a peddle (an old sewing machine peddle)!
So while the one was changing the date to the past the other was inside adding on a costume. There is a flap in the back that a helper can open and hand in the costume items. Then we opened the door and "poof" there was a scripture hero!
They came out and I had a short script for the child to read or I would read it for them. It told who they were and what they did to be a great example. Then I would ask the kids what we can learn from their example? It seemed to be memorable and helpful in teaching them about these people. It was engaging and hands on. I heard from my own daughter while playing later, "I am Esther. I am a queen and I saved my people." I was really excited that she had remembered what we had talked about!

So here is how I made it-

1-Found a Refrigerator box from a local appliance store for free. Keep in mind that they are very large so you will want to make sure you have room to transport this thing!

2-Cut a door, spray painted the front and two sides. Didn't worry about painting the back....just a waste of paint. I used 2 cans of cheap gray paint as kind of a primer, especially over the giant green lettering ont he box and then 2 cans of silver metallic paint. It was an awesome finish I thought! And pretty cheap!

3-I gathered plastic lids from random items I had and bottle caps. This is for the dials on the front for the day, month, and year. I printed up some numbers and months and glued them to another piece of paper that was cut into a circle the same size as the lid. Then glued that to some cardboard. Cut an opening in the lid for a way to view and also in the door where the dial would be attached. Used a brass fastener through the cap, lid, and cardboard. Then attached some strong duct tape on the brass fastener and cardboard so it would all stay in tact.




4-Created letters and polka dots and zig zag things for decor. The door knob is 2 paint can lids attached together with wire and then the wire is covered by silver tape.

 


5-The top is part of the box that I just laid on top. It is nice to not have it attached for moving. I covered it with green wrapping paper and added some strong wire with foil balls on the end and an empty can.



6-I added a go sign on the side with an old sewing machine cord and peddle. It worked great. I actually plugged it in so they would really feel like it was "on". We covered the end with duct tape so no electric charge would be possible!

7-Cut a flap on the back side for a way to put costumes in. Also, on the inside I added Christmas lights (well, my husband added those!). They gave the person inside some cool light and just added a fun effect!

8-My husband made a quick wood frame for the inside to kind of brace it up better and make sure it would withstand all the kids! That is recommended!

So much creativity is possible with this. I got many ideas from things I saw online and then just ran with what I had at my house! It was super fun and tons of work but so worth it in the end! I think I will have to bring it back for some additional use!!

Also-very important note-make sure you will be able to get this thing inside wherever you need it! We went to take it in the church and couldn't get it through the door! Until-we found the emergency exit door in the room we were using was large enough! Whew! It was a close one!


4 comments:

  1. This is seriously awesome! Thanks for sharing your idea so I could get a vision for mine. Making one - Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Thanks for all the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! I'm making a Time Machine for my fall piano recital this year and I really like the ideas you had here! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete